Item of the Day
From Ice Age Farmer Wiki
Creating this as a quick log.
- Kershaw 1990 Brawler a $20, acceptably light (3.9oz) folding knife that fits into EDC bag
- SOG Seal Pup Go-to fixed blade never fails me, for $30
- Anker 26800mAh battery I keep this topped off with solar, then charge ANYTHING off it.
- Thermocube plug thing that turns on at 35', turns off at 45' (only powers heater when needed): Or, on at 78/off at 70, fan. $13 (Ep #8)
- Baofeng BF-F8HP Being able to communicate without grid power/internet is important, and worth $60. I have and recommend a handheld Baofeng; they are programmable so that you can set the frequencies of local repeaters, and have these handy in an emergency/grid-down situation. (Ep #16)
- Mike Oehler's $50 and up Underground House Book (Ep #9)
- The Self-Sufficient Gardener (John Seymore, 1980) (Ep #11)
- Encyclopedia of Country Living: 40th Anniversary Ed. or older paperback for $5 -- This is a really great guide, tips for self-sufficient homestead. (Ep #16)
- Seed to Seed (Ep #8)
- Oyster Mushroom Mycelium Plug Spawn - 100 Count. It's taken but 3-5 to inoculate a bag of sterilized straw, but they work well.
- Silicate! $19 for 1lb. Build plant immune systems, important given decreasing energy we're receiving from sun (Ep #9)
- AquaOrganic Aquaponics Fish Feed 30 Pounds (Ep #15)
- Dyna-Gro - Foliage - Pro 9-3-6 -- has everything + trace minerals plants need; minimal maintenance required, I get fantastic results. You can find hyper-customized, plant-specific nutrient blends, but this is economical from my standpoint. At least while we can just buy the stuff...
- Kingbo 45W LED grow lights only $29. I use these for both my spirulina and microgreens.
- Reflectix -- has an r-value of 24. Is thicker, tougher than mylar; kind of like a shiny bubble wrap: