Grand Solar Minimum Symptoms
There are several lessons learned from studying earlier cycles, and particularly good data on very early global cooling events in Europe. See also the discussion of the Great Famine of 1315 in Episode 5.
[IAF Note: I've decorated with some tag links to simplify finding related/recent news corresponding to each of the following:
Onset of these conditions can be very abrupt and very severe.
A decline in food production for many reasons, including the following.
See also the IAF GSM Crop Loss Map, tracking crop losses related to the new minimum.
- Shortened growing season (#gsmFood)
- The food that IS produced is less nutritious, ie wheat contains less protein
Feed/Grain Shortages for Livestock
- Lack of feed for livestock (#gsmFood)
- Parasites (i.e. fusarium nivale), which thrived under snow cover, devastated crops. (#gsmFood)
- Grain storage in cool damp conditions produced fungus (Ergot Blight). Contaminated grains when consumed caused an illness (St. Anthony’s Fire) producing convulsions, hallucinations, gangrenous rotting of extremities. (#gsmWet)
These lead to major and minor famines.
- Glacier advance swallowed up entire alpine villages. (#gsmGlacier)
- Ruptured glacial ice dams produced deadly floods. (#gsmFlood)
- Drastic increase in seismic activity (earthquakes) (#gsmEQ, and
- Dramatic increase in volcanic activity #gsmVolcano)
- Hugely increased atmospheric electric charge (fatal lightning strikes, positive lightning, sprites, noctilucent clouds, northern lights) (#gsmElec)
- Violent, damaging wind events (#gsmWind)
Malnutrition lead to weakened immune system. Environmental conditions from previous plagues recreated. Hence:
- Influenza epidemics. (#gsmSick)
- Reoccurrence of plagues such as the Black Plague. (#gsmSick)
- Flooding created swamplands that became mosquito breeding grounds and introduced tropical diseases such as malaria throughout Europe. (#gsmWet)
I've now done a video on this, I'll add it to GsmSick.
- Dramatic increase in days with overcast skies. (#gsmDark)
- Decline in the intensity of sunlight. (#gsmDark)
- Decline by several degrees in global temperature (#gsmCold)
Torrential Rain/Flooding, Droughts
- Regions of massive rainfall and flooding (#gsmRain / #gsmFlood)
- Limited regions experienced droughts (#gsmDrought)